Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Humour Me

“I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.” ~Woody Allen

Ever had a moment that you look back on and it always brings on a lighter mood…like a hearty snorting laughter? I’ve had more of those than one can imagine which shows I’m not afraid to laugh like a “pig”. Hmm, but does a pig laugh?
We’ve all had that moment where we just had to lean back and laugh it out of our system or applauded our appreciation or simply just rolled on the ground completely breathless!
Today I’m in one of those lighter moods and I decided to share some of those moments with you. Hope it does seem funny in the end after all laughter is said to be the best medicine.

“Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.” ~Jack Handey, "Deep Thoughts," Saturday Night Live

One such incident I remember with a hearty laugh occurred in secondary school. I was 13 years old at the time and I remember the entire episode vividly. I was seated in the third row from the front of the class and on my left was my desk partner Miss A. (For want of confidentiality I will refer to her as Miss A. The story is of essence and not the characters or so I would like to think as I was definitely part of it.)

It was at the end of first period and we had a five minute interval to indulge in our frivolous chatting though at that time these chats seemed to us quite important for the world to turn. She began relating to me a story about her dog and this is how the story goes… Mr. Doggie had decided he won’t share his meat scraps with the cat so he buried his meat. Later on an unsuspecting chicken was scratching the dirt at that particular spot and came across the treasure. Of course we both were giggling at this point without noticing the teacher had entered the classroom for the start of the second period.

I don’t know if it was my height as Miss A was remarkably short for her age and it was mandatory to stand when the teacher came in, but somehow the teacher called on me to relate what I found so funny to her and the class. Well you can imagine my face at this point…
Ah memories that still make me snort lol

"You can't deny laughter; when it comes, it plops down in your favourite chair and stays as long as it wants." ~Stephen King, Hearts in Atlantis

Reminds me of another story at school…
I was now 4 years older and we had been getting a lot more free periods for whatever reason. Free periods meant only one thing …MORE FREE time to DO just about anything we wanted.

“Idle hands are the devil’s workshop”
The chatter this time was about dancing, and I sought advice from one of my friends who had been taking professional classes. Miss L delightfully described the moves but being the person that I am, I needed a visual to cement the moves in my head. Miss L willingly volunteered to show me the moves. Thus our classroom became means for my first Rumba lesson. While fumbling around the classroom our teacher decided to show up halfway through the period and walked in our dance session. I don’t know if she was amused or just being sarcastic but she did make us perform for her and the class. That was the closest I came to a dance recital!

“When people are laughing, they're generally not killing each other.” ~Alan Alda
“I've always thought that a big laugh is a really loud noise from the soul saying, "Ain't that the truth."” ~Quincy Jones

“Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails. What puts man in a higher state of evolution is that he has got his laugh on the right end.” ~Max Eastman

I’m leaving you with a few of my favourite “funny” videos. Hope it has the same effect with you as it had with me.

“What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul.” ~Yiddish Proverb

Demon Banana




Dance Like Michael




Twinkle Twinkle




Laughing baby Ethan



LOL!!!

Blogging with purpose,
Mariamlelue

2 comments:

  1. Salam Mariam!
    What can I say, you are a very gigted writer. I enjoyed reading this and yes I laughed more than once. Thnx:) Peace!

    OneV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasalaam Ahmed :)
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment.
    Alhamdolilah you enjoyed and laughed :P lol

    ReplyDelete