Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Hero: Willie the Parrot

Willie

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." ~ Mother Teresa

A change from the constant burdening of conscious minds with the daily occurences of our time is always welcomed. One such event that I read about is where a Quaker parrot named Willie was presented with an award for his role in saving a toddler from choking to death. The little girl, Hannah was eating her breakfast under the supervision of her baby sitter Megan. It was only when Megan left the room for mere seconds that little Hannah began to choke on her breakfast. It was Megan's parrot, Willie that quickly recognised something was definitely wrong with Hannah and began to screech ‘Mama, baby’ repeatedly whilst creating a scene by flapping his wings vigorously. Megan was able to reach in time to perform the Heimlich maneuver on Hannah who was by now already turning blue! A true hero I must say and we will continue to underestimate the intellect of the "lower animals".

“We have every right to dream heroic dreams. Those who say that we're in a time when there are no heroes, they just don't know where to look."
(January 20, 1981) ~Ronald Reagan

Therefore I share this ray of sunshine with you all and hope the light spreads joy to all of you.
***
On closing I would like to leave you all with a beautiful song that I am currently listening to non-stop. Entitled "Ya Babba" the song is sung in French and North-African Berber and it is addressed to "My Father". The song is about feeling lost and detached and needing to find back one's roots...one's heritage...my father you know what I feel in my heart and you understand better than anyone else what I'm going through.


The song is sung by Idir and Wallen, in Berber and French respectively.
“To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common; this is my symphony.”
~ William Henry Channing (1810-1884), American Unitarian clergyman, writer and philosopher
Blogging with purpose,
Mariamlelue

No comments:

Post a Comment